Special Permits

Chapter 12.08 of the Alameda County Municipal Code regulates Encroachments into the County road right of way within unincorporated Alameda County, and Chapter 6.36 of the Alameda County Municipal Code regulates Encroachments into the Flood Control District Right of Way. Please visit the Code here to see encroachment permit requirements.

How to Apply for an Encroachment Permit

Apply Online

Online applications are accepted for the following: County Roads & Right-of-Way or Flood Control District Properties & Right-of-Way. 


Apply in Person

To apply in person, please make an appointment with the Permit Center by calling 510-670-5868. 

Location and hours
Photo of a large mansion with a long stairway leading to the front door

Permit Application Forms

Below is a list of the various encroachment permit application forms including a guideline for temporary use of sidewalk for COVID-19 relief.
Simply click on the name of the form to see a PDF copy of it.

If you have any questions about applying for an Encroachment Permit, please call our office at 510-670-5868 or visit the encroachment section our permit portal.

If you would like to schedule an Encroachment Inspection, please call 510-670-5450, or click here to submit your request online.

It is illegal to dig or place anything in the public right-of-way without a valid encroachment permit. To report suspected illegal encroachment, please click here.