Alameda County has a long history of drawbridges dating back to the 19th century. The first recorded drawbridge was built in Alameda County in 1871 near present day Webster Street in Oakland.
The Public Works Agency currently operates and maintains six drawbridges over the Oakland-Alameda Estuary. Four of the bridges are for vehicle traffic; one bridge is for trains; and one bridge is exclusively for bicycles and pedestrians. Measure B/Measure BB funds received from the Alameda County Transportation Commission help fund these critical bridge operations.
Click for more information:
Bridge operations are regulated by the United States Coast Guard, which functions as the enforcement arm of the Federal Department of Homeland Security.