Niles Canyon is located within Alameda County between the Niles District of the City of Fremont and the unincorporated community of Sunol. The Niles Canyon Trail Project proposes to install a six-mile long pathway that is 10 feet wide and is intended to accommodate pedestrians, bicyclists, and equestrians. When completed, it will link the communities of Sunol and Niles, and offer a critical link to Palomares Road, bypassing State Route 84. The trail will connect with the popular Alameda Creek Trail that offers further connection to the 500-mile San Francisco Bay Trail.
- Trail installation
- Pedestrian bridge over State Route 84
- Downtown Niles community staging areas
- Trailhead parking lots
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) -- October 2021
- Notice of Preparation and Notice of Scoping Meeting for an Environmental Impact Report -- June 28, 2021
- Community Meeting Presentation -- March 11, 2021
- Community Meeting Q&A -- March 11, 2021
- Community Meeting Video
- Fact Sheet
- Project Study Report
- Feasibility Study
Bicycle and Pedestrian Project
This project is currently in the design phase.
Construction Start Date
To be determined.
Fremont and Sunol
Ruben Izon, Project Engineer